24 August 2014

BREAKING NEWS: Newly Confirmed Ebola Cases Recorded in Nigeria – Official


Nigeria has recorded two new Ebola cases, the Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, announced Friday. Mr. Chukwu, a professor, said the new cases are spouses of the primary contacts of the index case, Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American who brought the virus to Nigeria. He said the new cases are the first secondary contacts to test positive to the deadly virus that has killed five people in Nigeria. The secondary contacts had been under surveillance since the outbreak of the disease in Nigeria, Mr. Chukwu added.


At a press conference in Lagos Wednesday, Jide Idris, the state’s Health Commissioner, told journalists that five new suspected Ebola virus cases were brought to the isolation ward of the Yaba Mainland Hospital in Lagos on Tuesday. Mr. Idris added that two of those five cases were from secondary contacts linked to the Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, who brought the virus to Nigeria.

More details soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment