30 August 2014

Ebola Crisis: Diplomat Who Took Ebola To Port Harcourt Identified

The ECOWAS official who infected Dr. Iyke Enemuo has been named as Olubukun Koye and he was treated at Mandate Gardens hotel in Port Harcourt

Investigations have revealed that the official of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) who escaped from quarantine in Lagos is named Olubukun Koye.

Koye fled to Port Harcourt after coming in contact with index case, Patrick Sawyer and hired a doctor, Iyke Enemuo to treat him in a hotel.

Enemuo died on August 22, 2014 and his wife and child have been quarantined while the diplomat recovered and returned to Lagos.

Reports have it that Koye might face manslaughter charges due to his actions which more or less caused Enemuo’s death.

According to the Rivers state Commissioner For Health, Samson Parker
 “He (Koye) had received the late Dr. Patrick Sawyer in Lagos. Upon developing the symptom, he confided in a female colleague, called Lillian, who contacted the late Dr. Enemuo. It was after contact was established with Dr. Enemuo that  Koye flew to Port Harcourt to see Dr. Enemuo.

"To conceal his movement, Koye sneaked out of the isolation unit where he was being observed and took a flight to Port Harcourt and switched off his phone so that he cannot be reached or traced should he answer a call."

“On arrival in Port Harcourt, Koye checked into a local hotel called Mandate Hotel, around Rumuokoro in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the city.”

The hotel, Parker said, was close to Enemuo's private clinic, Sam Steel Clinic.

Parker continued: “From what we have gathered so far, Dr. Enemuo, knowing full well that Koye was positive of the Ebola virus took some measure of precaution to protect himself while treating Koye. Knowing the enormity of what he was doing. Dr. Enemuo upon Koye’s departure for Lagos poured bleach all over the room that Koye slept in order to sanitise the place.

“Upon developing the Ebola symptom, Dr. Enemuo approached one of our colleagues for treatment at Green Heart Hospital, along Evo Road, in G.R.A. Dr. Enemuo did not tell the doctor that was treating him the truth. He merely told him that he had fever. He lied. He did not tell the doctor that was treating him his full story.

"But the doctor, a nice and conscientious professional suspected that Dr. Enemuo was either hiding something or was suffering from a strange ailment because he proved negative to malaria, fever and typhoid fever. To be sure of what he was doing, he spoke to other very experienced doctors about the strange case he was handling in his hospital.

“He even invited some of  his colleagues to come over to his hospital to study Dr. Enemuo’s medical history. Of course, the news of the Ebola virus was everywhere, so, they were afraid to go. None of them showed up at the hospital where Dr. Enemuo was being treated. His condition continued to deteriorate and he eventually died and his body was taken to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital.”

“When news got to Koye that the doctor that treated him in Port Harcourt had died, he collapsed. It was then he opened up and confessed that Dr. Enemuo had treated him when he travelled to Port Harcourt. He confessed that he sneaked out of Lagos to Port Harcourt”.

Reports have it that Koye's actions and the appropriate punitive response were discussed at the Federal Executive Committee meeting on Wednesday, August 27,2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment