1 September 2014

NFF CRISIS: Only fresh election’ll save Nigerian football -Yusuf


Former secretary general of the Nigeria Foot­ball Federation (NFF), Dr Tijani Yusuf has warned that Nige­ria will face FIFA ban if those now claiming to have won the August 26 election hang on in office and refuse to heed FIFA’s quit order.

Yusuf’s warning came just as another former scribe of the NFF, Alhaji Sanni Toro disclosed that he had sent a memo to the Federal Government, even as he blamed the whole crisis on selfishness on the part of those struggling to control the Glass House.


Yusuf told Daily Sun­sports exclusively that anybody telling Nigerians that he will convince FIFA not to slam the country is deceiving himself and the nation.

“We must tell ourselves the truth. We have ridi­culed ourselves enough before the world. The so called election of August 26 was nothing but a sham. Before the congress of August 26, FIFA made it clear that it shouldn’t be an elective one and there was equally an agreement to that effect even here at home. The warring fac­tions agreed that the elec­tion should be postponed and the process thrown open to all eligible Nige­rians. The fact is that all those struggling to control our football have a hidden agenda,” Yusuf said.

He stressed that the only way out of the crisis is for the NFF to conduct a fresh , free and credible election which may not even be on September 4.

“If the time is too short, we can still move it for­ward so that we get it right once and for all. The fresh election must not come up on September 4 because those running the show now can still manipulate it,” he stated.

Toro on his part said he would not want to say much since he had already made his views on the soccer crisis known to government via a memo he sent to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).

“I have made my views known to government in a memo and if they (govern­ment) implement what I stated then be rest assured that the crisis will be over in a matter of days. The problem we have is that those struggling for the soul of Nigerian football are selfish. And they have forgotten that Nigeria is bigger than any indi­vidual. All we are doing right now is not in line with FIFA statutes. We must learn to abide by the statutes of the world soc­cer governing body and we must put our house in order,” Toro said.

No comments:

Post a Comment